Home       About Me       Review Archive

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Waiting On Wednesday (8): Ghostly Reads

Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill of Breaking The Spine in which an upcoming, eagerly anticipated release is highlighted on the blog.

Due to time constraints, I am only going to be taking part in this meme once a month. Each month, I'll post a compilation of books that I'm "waiting on" that fall under a theme.

This month, I'm "waiting on" books with Ghosts:


Title: Wake Unto Me
Author: Lisa Cach
Publisher: Speak
Date: March 31, 2011

A haunted castle, a handsome young man dead for four hundred years, one heck of a scary portrait of a witch, and a treasure hunt -- not to mention a princess for a roommate! -- all await 15 year old American girl Caitlyn Monahan when she earns a scholarship to a French boarding school. 
There are secrets behind the stone walls of Chateau de la Fortune, buried for centuries along with the mystery of who killed Raphael, the charming ghost who visits Caitlyn at night. But as Caitlyn unearths the history of the castle, nothing scares her as badly as the secret she learns about herself, and the reason she was chosen to come to the Fortune School.
And nothing breaks her heart as badly as falling in love with a dead guy.




Title: Hereafter
Author: Tara Hudson
Publisher: HarperTeen
Date: June 7, 2011

Can there truly be love after death?

Drifting in the dark waters of a mysterious river, the only thing Amelia knows for sure is that she's dead. With no recollection of her past life—or her actual death—she's trapped alone in a nightmarish existence. All of this changes when she tries to rescue a boy, Joshua, from drowning in her river. As a ghost, she can do nothing but will him to live. Yet in an unforgettable moment of connection, she helps him survive.
Amelia and Joshua grow ever closer as they begin to uncover the strange circumstances of her death and the secrets of the dark river that held her captive for so long. But even while they struggle to keep their bond hidden from the living world, a frightening spirit named Eli is doing everything in his power to destroy their newfound happiness and drag Amelia back into the ghost world . . . forever.


Title: Shift (Shade #2)
Author: Jeri Smith Ready
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Date: May 3, 2011

Aura’s life is anything but easy. Her boyfriend, Logan, died, and his slides between ghost and shade have left her reeling. Aura knows he needs her now more than ever. She loves Logan, but she can’t deny her connection with the totally supportive, totally gorgeous Zachary. And she’s not sure that she wants to.
Logan and Zachary will fight to be the one by her side, but Aura needs them both to uncover the mystery of her past—the mystery of the Shift.
As Aura’s search uncovers new truths, she must decide whom to trust with her secrets…and her heart.


These reads all feature ghosts as either the main character or love interest. The only ghostly read I've ever read was The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold which I enjoyed (but hated the ending). I'm eager to try out another one, this time YA! There's something just so inherently tragic about books in which a main character is dead and can never come back... and yet, I can't help but find the concept incredibly fascinating.

How about you? Are you waiting on any of these ghostly reads? Are there any upcoming books with ghosts that aren't included here that you feel I should know about?

46 comments :

  1. Wake onto me sounds awesome! I want! :D Great picks Aylee! I love Hereafter's cover its just gorgeous. :D I want to try ghostly reads (where the one of the leads is actually a ghost) I think it would be an interesting read. I'm looking forward to these all.

    On my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like the ghost is a very underrepresented supernatural character, so thanks for pointing out some upcoming ghost reads. I love a good ghost story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wake unto me sounds like a really good read, and I've wanted read hereafter every since I saw the cover I love it, and the story sounds awesome too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have great picks this week! Definitely looking forward to reading Hereafter and Wake Unto Me, and the covers are just lovely. I love ghost stories! I haven't read the first book in the Shade series, but I'm really excited for Shift!

    Here's my Waiting on Wednesday picks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely waiting for Wake Unto Me and Hereafter! I could definitely read some good ghost stories! The covers are beautiful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, all of these sound really great! I like your blog!

    Here's my WoW:
    http://romanticscholar.blogspot.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome picks! Hereafter's cover is just beautiful. I hope my galley request will get approved :) Anyway, here's my WoW

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely seeing more ghost stories. Thanks for reminding me about Wake Unto Me. I want that for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooo these look soooo good. Just added Wake Unto Me onto my TBR list.
    thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love a good ghost story, and these all look like they're going to be amazing. I'm a new follower here---I absolutely LOVE your banner!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. ohh, ive been wanting ot read hereafter too, it looks great. Great ghostly picks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. There aren't enough ghosts in my life so I definitely need to make up for that. I have Shade on my Kindle but I haven't gotten around to it for whatever reason.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You wait for lots of books.
    It was nice you take a red line from those three books.
    I really want to read wake unto me

    my Waiting on Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  14. The first one is a new novel to me, Wake Unto Me, but boy, it sounds pretty intense and scary! First of all, haunted castles, creepy portraits, that really makes my day. Add a dead guy, a girl falling for the dead guy, and an ancient secret, and I'm totally hooked. Great choices!

    Take a look at my WoW.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All of those sound so amazing! They're all on my TBR. Great picks. Hereafter's cover is so beautiful.

    WoW

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great choice this week. I cannot wait until Wake unto Me hits the shelf. :D I must have that novel on my bookhshelf.

    You can visit my "Waiting on Wednesdays" here: http://halesalvatoresupernaturalmustreads.blogspot.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesdays-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wake Unto Me looks like a really good book. I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am looking forward to all three of these, they all look amazing. Cannot wait, great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. great picks! Wake unto me is on my wishlist, cannot wait for that to be released. Plus the main character shares my name, very cool. I'm a new follower, my WoW post is here: http://thecaitfiles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great selection! I like the cover for the second one the best.
    I'm looking forward to the sequel to The Ghost and the Goth.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wake Unto Me sounds intersting. Thanks. I have added it to my TBR list. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy that everyone is looking forward to these ghostly reads :)

    Logan: I agree! They are definitely underrepresented.

    Kai and Stephanie: I still need to read Shade too actually!

    Becky: Thanks! :)

    Majanka: You're right, it does sound intense! Reading your comment summarizing it just got me even more excited to read it :)

    Alison: Gah! That's the one I forgot, of course! I knew I was forgetting something...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really want to read HEREAFTER! Just hopping by...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wake Unto Me sounds fantastic - it's going on my wishlist.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great choices! Hereafter and Wake Unto Me are on my wish list too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have a couple of these on my TBR list also. I am torn about reading them because seriously, falling in love with a ghost is just heartbreaking. How will they get a HEA out of that?! I think I will just have to read them to find out! :) Good picks.

    ReplyDelete
  27. All of these are on my list too Aylee! I still need to read Shade before Shift comes out, but I've heard its fabulous:) You've picked some great ones this week!

    ReplyDelete
  28. sounds scary, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looking forward to all of these, especially Hereafter! Nice picks this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. These all sound good! Wake Unto Me I've seen around and want to read. I've heard of Hereafter but have never read the premise before and it sounds great! And as for Shift, I haven't read the first Shade book, so I should probably do that before I read the second. :P Nice picks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for stopping by and telling me what you think everyone! I will be returning the comments on your blogs right now.

    Scoot: Exactly! So tragic. But I'm still terribly curious to see how they'll turn out.

    Jenny and Sasha Swift: Yes, I still need to read Shade too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wake Unto Me and Hereafter both sound so amazing. But then again, I am such a sucker for ghost books. ;_; I just can't resist their romantic creepiness.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great picks! I had Shade on mine a couple of weeks ago. I love Jeri's books.


    My WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Awesome choices! I've got all three on my wishlist too :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great choices! I have to check a few of those out. x)

    Ooh, and I LOVE your blog! Too cute! New follower here. :D

    ReplyDelete
  36. If you get any and review them, please leave a note! I want to see if they're as good as they look!
    Brilliant list: I really want to read Wake Unto Me and Hereafter. I haven't heard of the Shift series, but it looks really good! Hope you get them soon!
    Balancing's hard... Especially when all you want to do is read!
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I read that Ghosts were going to be the new Vampire. Interesting to see so many ghostly stories popping up so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Liz Tea: "romantic creepiness"! LOL!

    Eli: Thanks! Following you back :)

    TheBookAddictedGirl: I hope I get to read these ones soon too... though it's doubtful. I have so much to read from my TBR and so little time! Balancing is very hard!!

    Missie: Well, wouldn't that be interesting if ghosts were the new vampires?!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great picks! l want to read all of these, mostly Shift though!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hey Aylee, I've given you an award at the Howling Turtle!

    http://howlingturtle-pdx.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm especially looking forward to Hereafter. :)
    I like the sound of the first book though, too. P.S. I grabbed a button - very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Jodie: I stil need to read Shade!

    Larissa: Thanks! :)

    Jessica: Aw, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love a good ghost story, especially if there's a little bit of romance too :)

    Some of my favorites already published are Meg Cabot's Mediator series and Laura Whitcomb's A Certain Slant of Light. I'm really looking forward to the publication of Leah Cypess's Nightspell (ghost prince!) and Adele Griffin's Tighter.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Amazing recs, thank you! Gah, so much to read...

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love the Before I Fall: it's gorgeous! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete