Home       About Me       Review Archive

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Waiting On Wednesday (10): Gods and Mythology

Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill of Breaking The Spine in which an upcoming, eagerly anticipated release is highlighted on the blog.

Due to time constraints, I am only going to be taking part in this meme once a month. Each month, I'll post a compilation of books that I'm "waiting on" that fall under a theme.

This month, I'm "waiting on" books with Gods and Mythology:

Title: Wildefire
Author: Karsten Knight
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Date: July 26, 2011

Every flame begins with a spark. 
Ashline Wilde is having a rough sophomore year. She’s struggling to find her place as the only Polynesian girl in school, her boyfriend just cheated on her, and now her runaway sister, Eve, has decided to barge back into her life. When Eve’s violent behavior escalates and she does the unthinkable, Ash transfers to a remote private school nestled in California’s redwoods, hoping to put the tragedy behind her. But her fresh start at Blackwood Academy doesn’t go as planned. Just as Ash is beginning to enjoy the perks of her new school—being captain of the tennis team, a steamy romance with a hot, local park ranger—Ash discovers that a group of gods and goddesses have mysteriously enrolled at Blackwood…and she’s one of them. To make matters worse, Eve has resurfaced to haunt Ash, and she’s got some strange abilities of her own. With a war between the gods looming over campus, Ash must master the new fire smoldering within before she clashes with her sister one more time… And when warm and cold fronts collide, there’s guaranteed to be a storm.

Title: Fury
Author: Elizabeth Miles
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Date: August 30, 2011

The first book in a paranormal teen trilogy featuring three beautiful, mysterious girls wreaking havoc on a small New England town. 
Sometimes sorry isn't enough.... 
It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems... 
Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better--the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend. 
On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed. 
In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay. 
Em and Chase have been chosen.

Title: Sweet Venom
Author: Tera Lynn Childs
Publisher: HarperTeen
Date: September 6, 2011

Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster.
Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though.
Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they're triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters.
These three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful gorgon maligned by myth, must reunite and embrace their fates in this unique paranormal world where monsters lurk in plain sight.

Title: Half-Blood
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Date: September 15, 2011

The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi pure-bloods have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures.
Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:
Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden.
Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.


I've read Fury already (based on the myth of the vengeance deities called the Furies) and loved it. Other than that, I'm not terribly familiar with YA and MG books featuring Gods and Demigods, like Half-Blood. Nope, I haven't read The Percy Jackson Series yet (though I plan to remedy that soon hopefully). But of course, I love reading about Greek mythology. I am super excited for Sweet Venom (who wouldn't be with that gorgeous cover?), which is based on the myth of Medusa. What intrigues me about Wildefire is that it is based on Polynesian mythology, which is very unique.

How about you? Are you waiting on any of these books with Gods and Mythology? Are there any upcoming books featuring Gods and Mythology that aren't included here that you feel I should know about?



36 comments :

  1. Fury, Sweet Venom and Half-blood are all on my wishlist and I can't wait for them to come out! Great choices!

    Crystal @ Elegantly Bound Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picks! These are all books I'm dying to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All your picks this Wednesday are fantastic and some that I am eagerly awaiting. I have Wildefire waiting to be read on my shelf and have already finished Fury.

    Great choices =)
    Here's my W.O.W : http://mochalattereads.blogspot.com/2011/07/waiting-on-wednesday13.html

    -Mocha from A Cupcake and A Latte: YA Reads, Reviews & More!.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you do your WoWs! I'm definitely looking forward to some of these, too. I loved Wildefire so I hope you enjoy it as well! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really looking forward to Sweet Venom! I just love that cover and love the idea of the story.

    Lovely picks :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome choices! I'm particularly excited to read Sweet Venom. Gorgons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have copies of Fury, Wildefire and Half-Blood and your WoW just reminded me of my excitement to read them! I am dying to read Sweet Venom as well. Great picks! :)

    Check out my Waiting on Wednesday picks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great picks! I have each of them on my TBR pile as well.

    My WoW, http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are all awesome picks! I can't decide which one I want to read more.

    My WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post thanks - adding to the list for the school library

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very good picks!
    I've read 22 pages of wildefire and It's WOW!
    Half Blood on the other hand is AMAZING!!!!



    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of these are amazing choices! We're getting close to Wildefire!! So excited!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love anything mythology-related so I must check out these books! I was also wondering if you've read the Percy Jackson series. I think you'd like them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lots of great choices there :) Especially Wildefire!

    Amy @ Turn the Page

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such great picks. I LOVE your blog name and the characters on your header...So cute! Now Following:)
    ~Rebecca
    www.bendingthespine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I got ARCs of Wildfire and Fury at ALA! I'm excited to read them. The other ones look great too, thanks for the suggestion!

    Please check out my post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm curious about the Polynesian angle, too, and I've heard good things about Wildefire. I still haven't decided about Fury, though.

    My Waiting on Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a great list of books Aylee! I'm really excited for Fury and Wildfire as well, I'm such a mythology fan:) I just finished Half Blood and loved that one, I hope you do as well when you get a chance to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooohhh. All of these look really good. Read Half Blood. Pretty good =DDDDDDDDD

    Mystifying Paranormal Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm excited for Wildfire too! I haven't heard of Sweet Venom or Half Blood but I'm a sucker for books based on myth. I'll have to check them out.
    http://alternatereadality.blogspot.com/2011/07/waiting-on-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. They sound like good choices, enjoy.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/07/waiting-on-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dang! That is a lot to worship over.

    *failed attempt at a joke*

    I'm not sure about Fury anymore. Some of the reviews I've read have turned me off, but YES to the others.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just finished Wildefire and I enjoyed it quite a bit! I'm looking forward to the other books you mentioned as well. Great picks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome picks! Each of them have amazing covers - seriously who comes up with those beautiful colours and concepts? That model in Fury sure has orange hair! But I've heard mixed reviews on the books :S The others seem quite interesting too! Thanks for sharing (and stopping by mine <3)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so bad! I have had Sweet Venom for almost a month now and still haven't read it! But yes, I couldn't agree more with your choices! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Of those, I think I'm most looking forward to Sweet Venom. I really liked her mermaid book. I have a copy of Fury and Wildefire, but I'm not sure I want to read them now or wait until the whole series is published.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've already read Wildefire and I still don't know completely how I feel about that story. Half of me thinks it is genius and the other half thinks it was a nightmare. I'm looking forward to all of the other books though, great picks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. All I can say is YES! YES! YES! I am so looking forward to Half-blood and I want to find the time to read Wildefire from Galley Grab but it may not be possible. A great selection for this weeks WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I got Half-Blood, and I can't wait to read it! Wildefire was really good, too, despite a lot of negative reviews. Awesome picks :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great choices! I think I'm most curious about Fury and Sweet Venom.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, such good choices! I love the look of Wildefire and Half-Blood... actually all of them! Great choices!

    Thanks for following and taking part in Fortnight of Guests! :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great choices! I have heard so many good things about all of these. Hope they're worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mythology is so cool! Makes for such interesting stories. I've read and liked Wildefire, but I can't wait for Half-Blood!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've read Percy but that's it for mythology. Excellent choices - I hadn't heard of a couple of them.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh I LOVE your theme! I'm a total mythology addict, so I'm eager to read all of these as well! Mythology seems to be the next wave in YA lol.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fab selection! I'm so looking forward to Wildwife and Sweet Venom. Fury and Half-Blood look good too.

    ReplyDelete