Home       About Me       Review Archive

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Waiting On Wednesday (13): Angels

Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill of Breaking The Spine in which an upcoming, eagerly anticipated release is highlighted on the blog.

This week, I'm waiting on books with Angels:

Title: Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Author: Laini Taylor
Publisher: Little, Brown & Company
Date: September 27, 2011

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky. In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.
And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherworldly war.
Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages—not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.
When one of the strangers—beautiful, haunted Akiva—fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?

Title: Silence (Hush, Hush #3)
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Date: October 4, 2011

The noise between Patch and Nora is gone. They've overcome the secrets riddled in Patch's dark past...bridged two irreconcilable worlds...faced heart-wrenching tests of betrayal, loyalty and trust...and all for a love that will transcend the boundary between heaven and earth. Armed with nothing but their absolute faith in one another, Patch and Nora enter a desperate fight to stop a villain who holds the power to shatter everything they've worked for—and their love—forever.



Title: Hallowed (Unearthly #2)
Author: Cynthia Hand
Publisher: HarperTeen
Date: January 24, 2012

For months part-angel Clara Gardner trained to face the raging forest fire from her visions and rescue the alluring and mysterious Christian Prescott from the blaze. But nothing could prepare her for the fateful decisions she would be forced to make that day, or the startling revelation that her purpose—the task she was put on earth to accomplish—is not as straightforward as she thought. Now, torn between her increasingly complicated feelings for Christian and her love for her boyfriend, Tucker, Clara struggles to make sense of what she was supposed to do the day of the fire. And, as she is drawn further into the world of part angels and the growing conflict between White Wings and Black Wings, Clara learns of the terrifying new reality that she must face: Someone close to her will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.

Title: A Temptation of Angels
Author: Michelle Zink
Publisher: Penguin
Date: March 20, 2012

When her parents are murdered before her eyes, sixteen year-old Helen Cartwright finds herself launched into an underground London where a mysterious organization called the Dictata controls the balance of good and evil. Helen learns that she is one of three remaining angelic descendants charged with protecting the world’s past, present, and future. Unbeknownst to her, she has been trained her whole life to accept this responsibility. Now, as she finds herself torn between the angelic brothers protecting her and the devastatingly handsome childhood friend who wants to destroy her, she must prepare to be brave, to be hunted, and above all to be strong because temptation will be hard to resist, even for an angel. 


I don't have a great history with books with angels. I find that they are more often miss than hit. That said, I'm hoping these upcoming reads can change my mind about angels. Out of all of these, I'm most looking forward to reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone, mainly because of all the positive reviews I've read for it so far. I didn't love Hush, Hush, but I'm interested in seeing how the trilogy is going to conclude in Silence. I have heard amazing things about Unearthly but haven't read it yet so I'll have to get to it before Hallowed is released. As for A Temptation of Angels, I'm interested in the combination of the paranormal genre plus historical fiction, which isn't common.

How about you? Are you waiting on any of these books with Angels? Are there any upcoming books featuring Angels that aren't included here that you feel I should know about?

45 comments :

  1. Angels are hit or miss for me, too. Mostly miss... ha! Unearthly is one of my favorites, though, so I hope you get to it soon -- Hallowed should be great! Daughter of Smoke and Bone is amazing and so unique.

    Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE these picks, I'm so excited for each of them. Especially Daughter of Smoke and Bone. The reviews and few teasers I've read for this are AMAZING. I think Silence has one of the most stunning pieces of photography I've seen on any YA cover - love it!

    Yes, definitely get to Unearthly!! I really enjoyed that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie: Mostly miss, definitely. I hope I get to Unearthly soon too!

    Brodie: Beyond excited for DoSaB, mainly because of all the hype and I am a lemming. I love all of the covers for the Hush, Hush trilogy; I just wish I liked the books more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had the same experience as you with angels, Aylee. More miss than hit. I almost loath the Hush, hush, series, but something about it does have that HAVE TO KNOW quality. I'm glad I'll soon be put out of my misery with that one. LOL

    Even with all the great things I've heard about Unearthly, I haven't been able to get myself to read it yet either. Angels just aren't my thing. But all of these have pretty covers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, about Hush, Hush. The entire time I was reading it, I was thinking how stupid it was and yet somehow I just couldn't stop reading it! And you're right: even though the stories themselves don't often turn out so great, the covers are pretty unanimously gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. agreed with the hit and miss. A temptation of angels looks like it has potential so here's crossing fingers! Great choices!

    Here’s my WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome picks! I am especially looking forward to read Daughter of Smoke and Bone and Temptation of Angels. Well especially Temptation. It just sounds so good! And Hallowed! I'm a big Tucker fan :)

    Check out my WoW picks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great picks! I have them all on my TBR pile and can't wait for their release.

    My WoW this week is Hallowed by Cynthia Hand, http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hallowed is a definite cannot wait for pick of mine too. Loved Unearthly and wanted more as soon as I finished it. Also anxious to read Smoke and Bones and Temptation of Angels

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, I have Daughter of Smoke and Bone! A Temptation of Angels sounds amazing, I heard about it from The Story Siren who seemed to be enjoying it!

    ComaCalm's WoW

    ReplyDelete
  11. oooooh, I'm waiting for most of these too. All beautiful covers too, I can't wait! Great picks. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to read the sequel to Unearthly! I want to try Zink's new book although I didn't really like her Prophecy of the Sisters series.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am waiting on Zink's new book. I really enjoyed the first book of Prophecy of the Sisters, although I haven't read the other two yet. Daughter of Smoke and Bone sounds very promising. I will have to look out for that one too.

    -jehara

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am excited about all of these books!!! I am realllly looking forward to Hallowed and a Temptation of Angels!!

    check out my waiting on Wednesday!
    http://sarahcatchingbooks.blogspot.com/2011/08/waiting-on-wednesday-goddess.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am really excited for Hallowed! Unearthly is one of my favorite books this year.

    My WOW: http://rachelreader.blogspot.com/2011/08/waiting-on-wednesday-19.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. YESSSSSSSSSS! To all of them:) I can't wait for Hallowed, I'm dying for that one, and The Daughter of Smoke and Bone is getting a lot of positive press so I'm really excited to read it as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, I love your blog title! I have never heard of A Temptation of Angels, but it looks awesome. Great post!

    Jessica @ Books: A true story

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice! We have Daughter of Smoke and Bone up for ARC giveaway on our blog!

    Check out Em's WoW!
    Also check out the GREAT GIVEAWAYS we have going on right now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I ADORED Daughter of Smoke & Bone. <3
    I'm definitely looking forward to Hallowed (ahh, Tucker!) and A Temptation of Angels. :) Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great choices! I'm totally looking forward to reading 'Hallowed". The ending for "Unearthly" was very unexpected.

    Please stop drop on by and visit our 'Waiting on Wednesdays" http://paranormalnightowls.blogspot.com/2011/08/waiting-on-wednesday-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love angel books! I can't wait to read Daughter of Smoke and Bone it looks awesome.
    Also want to read Hallowed right now- I need more Clara and Tucker! (Plus, isn't that cover gorgeous?)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great choices! I'm especially looking forward to Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I pre-ordered a copy this morning. :-)

    Angel books tend to be hit or miss with me as well.

    Jessi @ Reading in the Corner

    ReplyDelete
  23. A Temptation of Angels was an awesome read. Daughter of Smoke and Bone is on my waiting list too. Great picks, Aylee!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Interesting choices, enjoy!

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/08/waiting-on-wednesday_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loved Smoke & Bone like BURNING! GREAT pick. I'm totally dying for Hallowed and Michelle Zink's new book too. I mean, the cliffhanger at the end of Unearthly? ZOMG!

    ReplyDelete
  26. hey!! i follow your blog! :) Great picks!

    Hope you'll stop by my blog and let me know what you think of mine! :)

    http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. So many great choices!! New follower :D
    Amy's WoW

    ReplyDelete
  28. Having just finished Unearthly I'm itching to read Hallowed! Looking forward to reading all of these though.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really like the look of Smoke and Bone, it sounds great and the cover is awesome!

    New follower here!

    My Wow

    Suzanne @ Under the Covers

    ReplyDelete
  30. I SO can't wait for Daughter of Smoke and Bone and Hallowed! Daughter of Smoke and Bone looks particularly amazing. Awesome choices.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looking forward to all of these! Hallowed especially, I really loved Unearthly! Got Daughter of Smoke and Bone on my tbr, can't wait to start it! And A Temptation of Angels looks great too. Awesome picks!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Like you, I've seen lots of good reviews on Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I don't know if I'll buy it, but I'll definitely check it out from the library. Angels seem to be growing in popularity. I don't know any that you don't have on this list though!
    -Jenna (new follower)
    Here's my WoW:
    http://fansoffiction.blogspot.com/2011/08/waiting-on-wednesday-2-perfect.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm curious about Daughter of Smoke and Bone but, I don't know, something about it makes me not want to read it. Maybe it's the hype? Or maybe the cover.

    I liked Unearthly a lot and want to see what happens next. The Michelle Zink book, I'm not sure. I didn't like her other series.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great Picks, I just bought Hush, Hush the other day. =]

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm not a huge fan of angels, but I have read a couple of series about them that I enjoyed. Your first pick looks interesting.

    New follower! :)

    Alyssa
    Reader's Refuge

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great WoW!! I need all of these right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Such great picks! I was never really into the whole angel thing until I read Unearthly...and now I absolutely cannot wait for Hollowed.

    Here's my WoW.

    It's great to find another Canadian book blogger out there (there's not nearly enough of us!)

    New follower!

    geekgirl

    ReplyDelete
  38. I had no idea there were so many angel books coming out! they aren't really my things but some of these look good! :D


    nice pics!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Daughter of Smoke and Bone is on my list. I had never heard of A Temptation of Angels. I am gonna have to add it to the list too! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  40. I agree with ALL of these!! Every single one!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Nice picks! Books about angels are usually a miss for me, but I recently read Unearthly and it gave me hope for other angel books - I am ANXIOUS for Hallowed!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'm really looking forward to Zink's new series. Like you, I don't have a great history with angel books. I'm hoping all of these are good! Great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm not a big fan of angels books-- they're usually misses for me, too-- but I am looking forward to Daughter of Smoke & Bone. The cover is so cool-- kind of graphic novel-esque-- and the synopsis sounds utterly unique. Hope you enjoy all of these! :)

    ReplyDelete