Home       About Me       Review Archive

Monday, April 24, 2017

Muggle Monday: Fantastic Beasts Audiobook Review

It's time for Muggle Monday, in which I highlight a significant piece of news from the Harry Potter franchise. This is somewhat inspired by the Mundane Monday posts by The Mundie Moms.

But let's be real as to why I made up this feature: I just want the opportunity to post something about Harry Potter.


This week, my thoughts on the updated Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them audiobook:

Publisher: Pottermore
Published: March 14, 2017
Pages: 128


A set textbook at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry since publication, Newt Scamander's masterpiece has entertained wizarding families through the generations.
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is an indispensable introduction to the magical beasts of the wizarding world. Scamander's years of travel and research have created a tome of unparalleled importance. Some of the beasts will be familiar to readers of the Harry Potter books - the Hippogriff, the Basilisk, the Hungarian Horntail ... Others will surprise even the most ardent amateur magizoologist. Dip in to discover the curious habits of magical beasts across five continents …

When it was announced that Newt Scamander actor Eddie Redmayne was going to record the audiobook of the updated Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them novella, I knew that was something I needed to experience. I absolutely loved Eddie as Newt in the Fantastic Beasts movie and so he has very much become the voice of Newt for me. It was fun to have him narrate this while in character - every mumbling, beast-passionate bit of him. Extra sound effects are added into this audio (beast noises and the like), which, while unnecessary, are nevertheless fun.

In this updated version of the classic Wizarding World novella, an intro from Newt himself has been
added (providing some curious tidbits about his backstory), as well as a handful of new creature descriptions not included in the original book (primarily the Ilvermorny House Beasts). Sadly, gone are the original scribblings by the Trio throughout the novella (the original book was presented as though it was Harry's actual textbook), which were brilliantly in character and SO fun.

A sample of the Trio's scribblings from the original Fantastic Beasts novella (2001)

If you already own the original book that was released in 2001, then I can't say it's entirely worth it to buy this new edition as it is almost entirely the same (and also, I suspect that this won't be the absolute final edition of this novella... Newt himself reveals that there may be more beasts to be revealed later), but I would still recommend checking it out from the library to read the new bits. And if you do wish to purchase this edition, then at least you'll be supporting Jo's human rights charity Lumos as 15% of the proceeds will go to the foundation.

9 comments :

  1. Awww this sounds lovely - ESPECIALLY with Eddie Redmayne narrating! I hadn't heard this news (BAD Potterhead!) but naturally now I want to listen to this too :D I did truly like the scribbles in the original book text, because it just made me feel closer to Harry, and you know me and my love for the Boy who Lived LOL! Thanks for putting this on my radar my friend ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, don't feel bad. So much new news lately that it's hard to keep afloat. I do hope you get to listen to Eddie narrating this sometime!

      Delete
  2. I really want to listen to Eddie read me this. He has SUCH a great voice, and he's definitely Newt for me. I do have the original book and I love the scribblings from the trio. I'm obsessed with all things HP though, so I'm sure I'll get the new edition at some point. HAH

    Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, I feel you! I may consider getting the a new edition at some point if the price is good :)

      Delete
  3. I finally saw the movie this past weekend and I enjoyed it but not as nearly much as the HP movies. I think part of it is that it didn't have much of a story and the villain was predictable right from the get go. I think I would have preferred it much more if it was a book instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw really? I didn't think the villain was predictable at all, hah. Hopefully you like the next ones more!

      Delete
  4. Lovely review Aylee :) I love how much you love Harry Potter. <3 Yesss. I haven't read this book yet. Ack. But one day :) Seeing the movie soon; so curious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I just want the audiobook- I am a Eddie fan through and through. I love the idea of him narrating the book in character. SO fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I'm on hold for this on audiobook at my library. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete